Our whole approach to renovating our new property from afar has modified really considerably since February when we very first began house looking, which includes a period in which we didn’t believe we’d be tackling any key tasks at all. And loads of you have been inquiring for a rundown of what we’re accomplishing now, what’s left, and how long we imagine this home reno could be. So today we’re getting you down that rabbit hole and sharing how our designs shifted pretty a couple of instances – and in which we finished up. As well as, why packing all of our possessions was a additional intense approach than we envisioned, and an update on our go date. Oh and what seriously will make for an “adult” kitchen area?
You can also locate this episode on your preferred podcast listening app, like Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, TuneIn Radio, Stitcher, and Spotify.
What is New
- This is what our business office looks like at the minute, now that most of our stuff is packed up and on its way to Florida in the Pod. What you see remaining are some of the products we marketed to the new entrepreneurs (like the big floating desk & desk chair). Of course the desktops and as many vegetation as Sherry can healthy in the automobile will journey with us to Florida on our going day. That should be interesting…
- We’ll be sharing a complete movie walkthrough of the full property so you can see what stayed and what is packed up in the pod – along with a ultimate online video home tour that we filmed right prior to our early March residence showings this Wednesday on the weblog.
- If you missed our episode about how we determined what household furniture to convey and what to go away, it is covered in “How Precisely Do You Downsize Your Things?” (Episode #169). We questioned ourselves four unique inquiries that produced it incredibly easy to make the option. And male did it really feel fantastic to get all of our keepers into a solitary pod.
- That’s what our PODS container seemed like as we obtained the last number of products packed. It was very the puzzle!
- And mainly because we had listened to some horror tales from you men about items shifting throughout transport and wedging the doorway shut (one particular man or woman claimed the pod pros had to come out and tear the door off!) we created a makeshift cardboard barrier at the back again of ours to protect against things from sliding in opposition to the doorway. Here’s hoping!
- We absolutely ended up a little bit a lot more neurotic about packing ours than we most likely experienced to be (we also listened to from people who said they quite considerably just threw factors in there and it was correctly fine). But as a form of “best practices” guideline (mainly because I am John “Rule Follower” Petersik, we did try to adhere to the official Pods packing video clip.
- And as promised in the podcast, if you are transferring or packing anytime soon, listed here are some of the provides that we located particularly useful:
- These $16 Forearm Forklift straps to support us elevate significant household furniture (we carried every single past item ourselves with these factors)
- These $10 ratchet straps to enable hold bins and furnishings merchandise in area within the pod
- This 12-pack of going blankets to aid pad our home furniture and ward off any scratching/chafing that could occur as it rumbles down the street for around 12 hours (we ended up using two packs complete)
- These relocating containers from Household Depot, which we ended up capable to get through curbside pickup at their retailer. We discovered the small and medium dimensions containers were being the most practical, but used a handful of substantial ones for items like lampshades.
- This home furniture extend wrap which served to hold our relocating blankets in area, as very well as maintaining bubble wrap limited all around fragile items. It even helped us transform random baskets and bins without having lids into makeshift packing containers (you could fill them up & wrap them around the major to safe products inside of the basket).
- And never forget to examine out our inspiration photos for our Florida Home if you skipped them!
What’s In An “Adult” Kitchen area?
- Oh, and here’s the hyperlink to that reducing board / charcuterie board from Ikea that we utilised in the two duplex kitchens (it’s leaning up there on the correct aspect of the image over). It’s these a fantastic dimension (Enormous!) for only $20!
Our 4 Phases Of Changing Renovation Expectations
- In situation you skipped previous week’s write-up with all of the in advance of photos of our Florida Home, be confident to examine them out alongside with the video clip tour. You can see why it definitely didn’t match our original program to obtain a thing that didn’t call for much renovation (hi lacking ground boards and broken-down lavatory!).
- And if you didn’t see this series of IG stories, we acquired tons of responses that it was specially helpful when it came to knowledge our designs and the actual dimensions of the rooms in our new house (it’s hard to grasp the scale of a place without having home furniture).
- But even although we toggled back again and forth among a few unique techniques to tackling this reno from afar, we’re thrilled about where by we have finished up due to the fact we’ll have a relaxed & livable place when we go – but there is even now plenty to do when we get there. Very first matter on the list is a phase just one reno of our mauve-countered kitchen…
- Right here are some sample pages from The 50 States (come across it regionally) e book that our son and I are genuinely having fun with. I assume we’ve produced it to Hawaii so much on our regime of examining one distribute for every evening. I also just seen there’s an Activity E-book (here’s in which you can obtain it domestically).
If you are wanting for some thing we have dug in a past episode, but don’t remember which exhibit notes to click into, here’s a master list of almost everything we’ve been digging from all of our previous episodes. You can also see all the books we’ve suggested on our Guide Club page.
*This article contains affiliate one-way links*